Sunday, August 18, 2013

Let Me Outta Here

Start: VYKU, 0716; $14092.75 and 11gal

Boy, it isn't easy to get out of Myanmar. No, I'm not having Customs problems. I just can't find flights heading south. I was putting together today's plan, and it involved lots of short hops and included a fair amount of backtracking. By the time I was done, I had 5 stops, and had only managed to get about 250 miles in the direction I want to go!

So, I started over and worked backwards. I found a nice long flight to Bangkok, and figured out a route to take me there. So, I'm now loading a single Passenger and we're off to Bagan, a mere 46 miles away. The weather's not great (overcast, and I hear thunder), so I'm IFR again.

End: VYBG, 0758; $14230.75 and 7gal

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My next destination is 66 miles away, and I've got 7 gallons of fuel. That's cutting it pretty close! But, there's no fuel available at Bagan, so there you go. I've got 1 Air Photography Passenger, and we're determined to make it to Mandalay Int'l Airport. So here we go.

End: VYMD, 0853; $14648.75 and 2gal

Boy, that was cutting it pretty close! The weather got progressively worse, and visibility was pretty limited for my approach. But for some reason, it was one of my smoother landings. Fortunately for me, this is a large airport and has plenty of fuel. So, I'm gassing up, because I've got a LONG leg remaining.

Now: VYMD, 0900; $14452.05 and 54gal

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

One last leg, and one last passenger. This one will push the Globe Trotter to her limits; it's 538 miles. But, I've got clearance for a direct route, and I've got plenty of fuel, so I'm feeling good. Bangkok, here I come!

Not long after take-off, the skies have cleared but the winds have really picked up and we're getting tossed around like a sock in the dryer. I've requested a higher cruising altitude, but that hasn't helped. I guess I should be thankful that it's a cross-wind and not a head-wind.

Twenty minutes and another 1,000ft up, and it's smooth sailing. Plus, that cross-wind has shifted a bit, and is now at least partly a tail-wind -- wheeee!

End: VTBD, 1444; $15323.25 and 18gal

It's fairly early in the day, but I'm tired, I want to do some sightseeing, and I've got a line on my next plane -- a Grumman G21 Goose!

Total Distance Flown:  16,972 nautical miles

No comments:

Post a Comment