Tuesday, August 20, 2013

#50 Singapore

Start: VTBD, 0911; $5061.83 and 35gal

This trip is not only educational and entertaining, but it's actually profitable as well. Another v$10,000 to the bank today.

It will take a few hops, but I'm determined to get to Singapore today. My first leg is taking 3 Special Operations Personnel to Surat Thani (which sounds to me like it's on the planet Vulcan). Why are 3 Special Ops guys flying around Thailand in my little Cessna? Don't ask; don't tell!

This may turn out to be an interesting flight, but for different reasons than I expected. Once I reach my assigned altitude of 4,000ft, I find a 31kt cross-wind! But, it stays fairly steady, so there's no turbulence. It gradually slows to 15kts as I approach my destination. But once I start descending, the turbulence kicks in. This will be a "fun" landing!

Well, for all the bouncing around, that was one of my better landing jobs. In fact, as they left, one of the Special Ops guys gave me a pat on the shoulder!

End: VTSB, 1300; $6639.80 and 20 gal

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This leg will be just a little different, because my 3 passengers are now Corporate Charter guys (a different kind of Black Ops!). I'll also have some hillier terrain to deal with as I cross into Malayasia.

I also see that I didn't do adequate fuel planning. With 3 passengers, I can carry 45 gallons. I've got 298 miles to my next stop. No problem, right? But now that I think to check, I see that my next 3 stops have no fuel. So, I've got 596 miles of flying to do, and I really don't think 45 gallons is going to do it. Guess there's nothing else to do but try to conserve as much fuel as I can, and thank my lucky stars for my GPS (which will find me "nearest" airstrips along the way).

As I'm handed off to different centers, I can't help but notice one name in particular. From Bangkok Center to Hat Yai to Alor Setar to Butterworth to Kuala Lumpur. Wait a minute... Butterworth? That doesn't sound particularly Malaysian to me!

End: WMKI, 1629; $10079.97 and 21gal

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

6000ft
I have 2 Group Charter passengers, going to Pulau Tioman 212 miles away. I've got 21 gallons of fuel. I'll be fine. But then I have to keep going! As I level off, I find I've got a 9kt tail-wind. Will it be enough? Stay tuned!

It's a good thing I'm IFR -- about mid-way through my trip, I am completely within massive dark grey clouds. I can't see a thing!

End: WMBT, 1907; $11349.97 and 6gal

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm saved (I hope!)! Checking in at the "for hire" desk, I find a job taking 3 Private Passengers to Changi, where they have fuel! Since it's dark, I think I'll just head straight there, and leave the sightseeing for tomorrow morning.

With 6 gallons, and cruising at 6gph, I should be able to fly for an hour, which should take me about 90 miles. I hate to disappoint people, but I think I'd be smarter to fly empty this leg, both for the weight savings, and in case things don't go well. I have found an airport with fuel only 76 miles away, though, so I'll ask my prospective passengers if they mind making a quick stop...

End: WMKJ, 2010; $11349.97 and 1gal!

That was TOO close!! If I hadn't had a 12kt tail-wind most of the way, I would not have made it. And there wasn't a closer airport in case I didn't! I'm glad I've been flying this plane for a while now, and have learned to handle it rather well (if I do say so myself!), because I cut this landing pretty tight!

then WMKJ, 2014; $11176.87 and 45gal

Okay, I can relax now. It's the end of a very long day (913nm and almost 12 hours!), but all's well that ends well.
Singapore at night
End: WSSS, 2102; $12030.92 and 39gal

Total Distance Flown:  17,884 nautical miles

No comments:

Post a Comment