Friday, October 25, 2013

#87 Machu Pichu

Start: SETE, 0716; $10742.65 and 34gal

Another exciting day planned for today! I'm heading south to Peru and Machu Pichu and the nearby, famous Cuzco airport. I know that crossing those mountains will be a challenge in my little GlobeTrotter (according to Plan-G, at one point I will have to reach 12,000ft, which isn't possible in a real Cessna 172). So I know that means that I'll travel empty towards the end of today's route.

I will be travelling empty at the start of my route, too! There just aren't any jobs from Tena going anywhere near the right direction. So, I'll toss a coin, head south to Taisha, and see what I find there.

End: SETH, 0827; $10742.65 and 27gal

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

There was no fuel available at Taisha, but I've still got enough to get to my next destination. I'm taking 3 Group Charter passengers way, way up to Huancabama. It's still south, but it's 10,000 feet up!

End: SPAB, 1057; $12756.65 and 10gal

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Well, turns out there's no fuel at Huancabama, either. I'm running low, so I'll hop over to Jaen empty (passengers, not fuel!) and fill up.

End: SPJE, 1133; $12591.10 and 45gal

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This time I've got 3 Group Charter passengers going to Juanjui. This will be my last job for the day, and the rest will be devoted to traveling, and then seeing Machu Pichu and landing (I hope!) at Cuzco.

End: SPJI, 1316; $13980.10 and 32gal

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Nobody's going my way, and I've still got a nice bankroll, so I'm just going to continue on my own. Probably just as well, as I need to be as light as possible so I can climb, climb, climb! Since there's no fuel here in Juanjui (this is the third airport with no FBO -- if anyone is looking to create a network from scratch, Peru has LOTS of spots to build).

I've got to stop for fuel, and I just couldn't resist when I saw the ICAO code: SPAY (for those that don't know, in real life I am a veterinarian). Still no FBO, but there's a fuel depot, so I'm good to go. Now the climbing will begin....

End: SPAY, 1725; $13910.33 and 30gal

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I couldn't help it -- even though it's virtual, this is the trip of a lifetime, and I don't know when I'll be in this part of the world again. So, I sprung for Aerosoft's Cuzco X scenery, since it includes so much more than just the airport. It's photoreal scenery and extensive auto-gen all the way out to Machu Pichu, which I'll witness for myself on this leg.

This has been another fairly long day (Wait -- aren't they all 24 hours? Come on -- you know what I mean!). I hope there's still enough light for good photos; it should be almost 7:00pm by the time I get to Machu Pichu.

It's 6:51pm, I'm at 12,000ft, 18 miles to Machu Pichu, and the sun is at the horizon. I'll either get really exciting sunset shots, or dull and dark ones!
Machu Pichu -- disappointing from the air
Score one for the GlobeTrotter! It took every last rpm she had, but I managed to climb to 14,000 feet and thread my way through the valley leading to the turn for Cuzco. Whew!
Cuzco, after dark -- not recommended! (and I suspect, not allowed)
Cuzco, the next morning
Leaving Cuzco
I know Machu Pichu is a long way from the airport (scenery-wise), so it's wonderful that they included it at all. But from the air, it was fuzzy and poorly defined. But the Cuzco airport is absolutely amazing. Probably the best and most highly detailed scenery I've experienced on my system. I highly recommend Cuzco X from Aerosoft.

End: SZPO, 1724; $13910.33 and 13gal


Total Distance Flown:  47,345 nautical miles
Total v$ Deposited: $200,000

No comments:

Post a Comment