Friday, October 11, 2013

North to Alaska, part I

Start: RJCO, 0716; $4434.11 and 17gal

So, I'm in northern Japan. My next target destination is Denali in Alaska. My plan, such as it is, is to find FSE jobs heading northeast, following the Kamchatka peninsula until I can hop over the Bering Sea.

But it turns out that airports and jobs are rather sparse in this part of the world. I've found 2 jobs which will take me 200 miles in the right direction. From there, I'm going to have to cross the Sea of Okhotsk (711 miles) by myself, hoping for a good tailwind.

So, wish me luck! I'm starting out with 1 Air Photography passenger and 231kg of canned goods. To carry this load, I had to de-fuel down to 17 gallons. That's okay -- fuel is reasonable at Monbetsu, so I'll gas up after I land.

End: RJEB, 0821; $5675.33 and 54gal

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I now have 96kg of Priority Courier materials, crossing over into Russian territory. I had a 38kt tailwind on that last leg, so that's sure a good sign!

End: UHSS, 0957; $5984.95 and 54gal

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Fuel wasn't as cheap here in Russia, but I need every last drop, so I topped off back to Full. I'm really pushing my safety margins with this leg, but I don't have much choice (other than a rather long detour to the northwest). So, I'm crossing my fingers and trusting in the GlobeTrotter. I've done 649 miles before, and that headwind has stuck with me so far, so I think this is within the realm of possibility.

Fifteen minutes after takeoff, I've leveled off at my cruising altitude, I've throttle back to a comfortable speed, and I've got 701 miles to go. My fuel gauge shows I've got 790 miles of fuel remaining. Life is good! Six hours over the sea, and I'll be landing.

End: UHPP, 1738; $5984.95 and 8gal

Whew, that was one long flight (6 hours and 40 minutes) -- my backside is sore! But I feel good that I made it, and with 8 gallons of fuel to spare.


Total Distance Flown:  37,258 nautical miles
Total v$ Deposited: $170,000

No comments:

Post a Comment