Monday, August 26, 2013

My Travels in Flatland

My Travels in Flatland

Start:  YAYE, 0751; $4655.14 and 45gal

Okay, a quick run past Uluru again, to get some photos while the sun is up! Then, I'm taking 1 Corporate VIP to the wonderfully named Oodnadatta in northern South Australia.

Boy, that is one big rock! But other than that, the sky is completely empty and the land is flat and featurless. Not a good place to get lost, I'm thinking. Hotels seem to be few and far between!
Uluru in the daytime
When I arrive at Oodnadatta, I find that it is a dirt strip, surrounded by a very slightly different color of dirt! So, I go around and do a better job of finding it on my second attempt! It might be a small airstrip, but it's got my next job, and it's got fuel!

End: YOOD, 1147; $6098.66 and 45gal

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quite an assorted bag of nuts this time -- I've got 1 Camper, 1 Country Footballer and 1 SkyNet Maintenance Mechanic. I hope that last guy works on airplanes, and not some large semi-sentient computer defense system!

I'll tell you, the wind is really whipping across the plains down here in Australia. I'm battling a 21kt cross-wind that keeps shifting around -- makes it tough to stay on the magenta highway when flying manually.

End: YPAG, 1539; $8806.16 and 17gal

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Through a combination of planning and caution, I have just enough fuel to continue on my way. Which is a good thing, because there's no fuel to be had here in Port Augusta. So, switch out my eclectic passengers for a 3 person Charter Group, and it's back up into the air.

Not far from Port Augusta is Mount Remarkable National Park. In FSX it may not live up to the hype, but with a name like that, I've got to go see!

There's a little haze in the air, but after all the desert landscapes, this IS pretty remarkable!
Mount Remarkable (I think the varied FSX textures are pretty remarkable!)
Timed that one pretty well. I'm 20 miles from Waikerie as the sun settles gently into the West. Wait, I'm down under. Does it still set in the West here?!

End: YWKI, 1719; $10249.21 and 6gal


Total Distance Flown:  22,925 nautical miles
Total v$ Deposited: $110,000

No comments:

Post a Comment