Saturday, July 6, 2013

#4 London Bridge, but I'm falling down!

Start: EGDM, 1125; $2055.40 and 27gal

A beautiful day for a flight! An early lunch, and we're off 30 minutes before noon. I've added a Poker-faced Policeman to my 2 politicians, so it's a full flight for this leg. More nice pastoral scenery -- FSX seems to think that southern England is made up entirely of small farms. Maybe it is!

End: EGHJ, 1151; 3130.40 and 24gal

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The politicians have exited, and I've picked up a Weather Girl (no pun intended -- I've still got the bobby on board!). I'm at Bembridge airport. Is this the same Bembridge that's mentioned so often in the Mummy movies? Guess I'd better fire up Wikipedia and find out!

I'm headed for London City airport, so I know there'll be some great photo ops. I must confess, though, that I haven't researched London at all (since my actual visit in 2001), so I may miss some of the sights. I think I'll spend a day or two, and do some aerial touring on my own. But for now, I'll just follow the Thames. That should at least get me Parliament, the White Tower and the London Eye. Plus that building shaped like a fat rocketship!
The White Tower, and the Gherkin!
Wow -- I know my system isn't the latest and greatest, but approaching London really slows my framerate to a crawl! I usually get rates in the teens, and sometimes into the low 20s. But now I'm looking at about 3fps, and things are pretty jerky on the screen. I think I may be making out my Christmas List early this year!
Flying down the Thames between Big Ben and the London Eye.
Warning: Kids, don't try this at home. My very first flight in FSX was from San Francisco, and after crossing the city and Alcatraz, I flew under the Golden Gate Bridge. So, upon finding Tower Bridge, I just couldn't help myself. But it's not a good idea, in real life or in FSX. Apparently all that empty space isn't, because FSX registers it as a crash when you go "through" the bridge (either that, or the policeman shot me!). Thoroughly chastised, I dust myself off and restrain myself the next time!
Trying to thread the needle.
I should note that despite the very low framerate, London looks pretty good. This is the default FSX scenery. I have tried OrbX scenery in the past, and I have also tried VFR London, but my system is just too slow and my graphics card is too old. The wonderfully detailed, greatly improved graphics never get a chance to load and everything looks very fuzzy and lo-res. So, for now I have to stick with the default graphics. Luckily, they're pretty good!

End: EGLC, 1236; $4619.15 and 19gal

Cool -- I've got nearly $5,000 to spend in London!

No comments:

Post a Comment